The name 'Magheragall' is sometimes translated as meaning 'The field of the stranger'.
The earliest Church of which there is record was about a mile further towards Ballinderry than the present Church, at Brookhill - (where the Farm Museum is today) - but this Church was burned down in 1641 when Con Magennis and Phelim O'Neill were fleeing from their defeat at Lisburn.
In 1676 a replacement Church was built on the present site of today's Church. This Church is believed to have been of a similar design to the present Middle Church in Ballinderry. Evidence for the existence of this Church of 1676 is to be found in the dates on the tombstones in the Churchyard.
In the early 1800's there was a need to provide a new Church - so the present
Church was begun in June 1830, and consecrated by Bishop Mant, the hymn
writer, on 2nd June 1831. It cost £1,000 to build.